Bible study on theme of forgiveness for a home group
‘Forgiveness is the best form of love. It takes a strong person to say sorry, and an even stronger person to forgive.’ (Anon)
- What comes to your mind when you hear the word ‘Forgiveness’?
- Share an experience when you have had to forgive someone. Was it easy or difficult? How did it feel? What were the consequences of forgiving that person?
- Have you ever been forgiven by someone? How did that feel?
- Read Isaiah 53:5 & 1 Peter 2:23-24 What does Jesus’ death on the cross mean for you? How does the knowledge that God forgives us help us to forgive others?
- Read 1 John 1:9-10 What does it mean to confess our sins?
- Read Matthew 9:1-8 Why do you think Jesus first forgives the paralysed man, before healing him? What does this say about forgiveness?
- Why do you think forgiveness is so important?
- Read Matthew 6:9-15 what does this teach us about forgiveness?
- Read Matthew 18:21-35 How do we begin to forgive? What does this passage tell us about the nature of forgiveness?
- What are the barriers to forgiveness?
- What is forgiveness NOT?
- What are the benefits of being able to forgive someone
To consider over the coming week: Is there anyone you need to seek forgiveness from, or to forgive?