Sunday 25 November 2012

The E100 Bible Reading Challenge: Psalms & Proverbs: The Lord is My Shepherd (41)


Psalm 23

The Divine Shepherd

A Psalm of David.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. 
   He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters; 
   he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
   for his name’s sake. 

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
   I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff—
   they comfort me. 

You prepare a table before me
   in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
   my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
   my whole life long.

- - - - - - - 

No Fear!

KEY THOUGHT
Jesus, the Good Shepherd, cares for us each day.

OVERVIEW
In this psalm, David compares the Lord to a shepherd. A shepherd both comforts (23.2, 3) and protects (23.4) the sheep.  And in a second image, David envisions himself at a banquet table, surrounded by his enemies (23.5)! He seems to be saying that even if the worst happens (23.4) we can trust God to take care of us (Romans 8.28).

CHALLENGE
YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR WHEN YOU’RE CLOSE TO THE GOOD SHEPHERD.

No comments:

Post a Comment