Monday 3 June 2013

Reflections from St Beuno's: Prayer To God As Father



A beautiful prayer to God as Father, inspired by Psalm 139.  The words of this prayer really spoke to me when I read it, and was used alongside the spiritual exercise which you can read about HERE

Father, you know me better than I could ever know myself.
You know in all truth what I have been, what I am, what I will become.
You know me when I am loving and when I am selfish.
You know when I succeed and when I fail.
You know everything about me.
And yet, Father, you love me more than I will ever know.
You don't hold it against me that I fail, or am discouraged.
You try also to show me that I should not hold it against myself,
because by doing so I will fail to love more.
You are forgiving and loving.
I read you word and am inspired,
but then immediately feel its poverty in my own life.
But Father, if I do try to escape you, really where can I go?
Deep down I never want to escape you, but at times I try.
Help me to realise that at these times you will support me,
You will send the light needed,
You will send your consolation through another,
You will send your strength and courage.
God, my Father, know my thoughts.
Guide me to you.
You know what I desire
even though I do not always move towards my goal.

Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment