Assembly for Key Stage 2 (Church of England School)
Props: Two blindfolds, 2 slices of bread, butter, jam, 2 plates, 2 knives
- Put children in one of two pairs. In each pair, blindfold one of the children. Get the blindfolded child to put their arms underneath the arms of the other child, who have their arms behind their back. The child without the blindfold needs to direct the child with the blindfold on how to butter and put jam on a slice of bread by giving spoken instructions. Pair that succeeds first are the winners.
- Make the point that to win they had to work together, they had to cooperate.
- Today the theme of our assembly is ‘Better Together’. This is what the Bible has to say on the subject: Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labour: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10)
- Can you think about ways in which it is better to be together? (Examples, helping one another, playing sports, playing in a band etc).
- Imagine what it would be like to be on your own, if there weren’t people there to help and support you, imagine what it would be like if you didn’t have friends.
- It is good to have people who can help and support us, as well as being able to help and support other people.
- Just as life is better together, so it is also better with God. The Bible says ‘For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end.’ (Psalm 48:14)
- Just as our volunteers at the start were helping, and guiding one another, so God promises to help and guide us. This happens when we live the way God would like us to live, by loving God, and loving other people. When we ask for God’s help when we pray, and when we read the Bible which teaches us all about God. When we do this, God promises to be our help and guide.
- Life is better together, and it is also better with God. Think about the people who help and guide you, and think about how you can help and support other people, and also about God’s promise to be your guide and help.
Thank you God, for our friends, and for the people who help us. Enable us to be people who help and support others. Thank you also that you promise to be our guide and help. Help us to trust you, and to follow you. Amen.