Sunday 16 February 2014

Real Love

Dear Friends,
Pity the poor postman delivering all our Valentine cards on Friday. Of course I had to turn down the offer of a romantic weekend in Paris!
Valentine day made me think of the true nature of love. Grand gestures (such as a weekend in Paris) are wonderful, but not so wonderful if they’re not backed up by a caring, a respect and an appreciation of each other.
I guess we might all enjoy being pampered and spoilt for a weekend but this doesn’t mean much if it’s not accompanied by a morning cup of tea, shared shopping and household duties, a companionship and friendship that grows with time.
It’s in the day by day, ‘nitty-gritty’ of living out our lives in a busy and ever-demanding world that we see what real love is.
How do we love God? In the once-a-week-and-I’ve-done-my-bit grand sort of way, or in the moment by moment giving of ourselves to Him, developingour relationship with Him?
How does God love us?In the Grandness of His death on the cross and in the struggle of daily life, with us, in us and through us by the Holy Spirit.
Human love isn’t the answer – it comes to an end. God’s love is eternal and I’m thankful beyond words that moment by moment, day by day, I can rely on Him being there for me.
‘For I am the Lord your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41 v 13’  - a Valentine, just for us, from God.
Love, Jane W.

No comments:

Post a Comment